Palace: VP Sara’s Claim Marcos Might Be Pro-China ‘Ridiculous’

A new political exchange emerged after Duterte questioned why a purported list of government officials suspected of being sympathetic to China remains unreleased.

Palace: VP Sara’s Claim Marcos Might Be Pro-China ‘Ridiculous’

10
10

How do you feel about this story?

Express Your Reaction
Like
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

Malacañang on Monday laughed off Vice President Sara Duterte’s claim that President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. could be among government officials suspected of being pro-China if a list of alleged sympathizers is not released.

Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said Duterte’s statement was absurd given Marcos’ record in defending Philippine sovereignty and rights in the West Philippine Sea (WPS).

“Nakita po natin kung paano ipaglaban ng Pangulo ang interes ng bansang Pilipinas at interes ng ating mga kababayan (We have seen how the President fights for the interests of the Philippines and our fellow citizens),” Castro said during a Palace briefing.

“Marami na ang humanga at ipinakita na sang-ayon sila kung anong instance ng Pangulo, patungkol sa ating soberanya, kung papaano natin ipaglalaban, poproteksyunan, especially ang ating karapatan sa West Philippine Sea (Many have expressed admiration and agreement with the President’s stance on our sovereignty, particularly on how we will fight for and protect our rights in the West Philippine Sea),” she added.

Castro questioned why Duterte and her brother, Davao City Rep. Paolo Duterte, were the only ones objecting to Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro’s call for officials who do not uphold Philippine interests in the WPS to resign.

“Hindi natin alam bakit silang dalawa lamang na magkapatid ang umaalma (We don’t know why only the two siblings are raising objections),” Castro said.

“Minsan kasi kapag ikaw ay natutumbok, kahit hindi ka pinangangalanan, most probably ikaw ay nare-react (Sometimes, when you feel alluded to, even if you are not explicitly named, you most probably react),” she added.

Duterte earlier said that without a list identifying alleged pro-China officials, even Marcos could potentially be considered among those suspected of favoring Beijing.

Teodoro recently said government officials are duty-bound to uphold Philippine laws and the country’s position on the WPS, including Administrative Order No. 29, which officially designates the WPS.

He said officials who cannot support the country’s position should challenge it through proper legal channels or resign.

Rep. Duterte has criticized Teodoro’s remarks as an alleged “loyalty test” and accused him of demonizing China, while the Vice President challenged the Defense chief to name the officials he was referring to as “pro-China.”

The Duterte siblings’ father, former president Rodrigo Duterte, had been criticized for his comparatively conciliatory approach toward China during his presidency, particularly amid disputes over Philippine claims in the WPS.

Critics had accused the former president of downplaying China’s actions in disputed Philippine waters while pursuing closer economic ties with Beijing. (PNA)